Friday, December 31, 2004

Phosphorescent - The Weight of Flight (Warm, 2004)

Phosphorescent
The Weight of Flight
Warm

2004

Rating: 7.5 cowboy toes out of 10

 
I’ve been waiting ages for something in the neo-folk/alt-country genre to come along that wowed me as much as Iron & Wine when he broke on the scene a couple of years back (and for the record, I’ve been wearing that new Iron & Wine CD out, it’s amazing). Well by god, I think I’ve finally found it in Phosphorescent, an Athens, GA group put together and led by Matthew Houck. It somehow manages to sound like Will Oldham, Neutral Milk Hotel, Okkervil River, and even some of Chris Mill’s early work all at the same time, and still managing to sound quite original. Without a doubt, Houck’s voice is one of the most beautiful and engaging I’ve heard in quite some time – and trust me, I’ve hear a lot of damn voices, not even counting the ones in my head. This wins the award for “best record out of nowhere” from me, and I’ll be hunting down their debut “A Hundred Times or More” post-haste.

No comments:

Post a Comment