Friday, December 31, 2004

New Black - The New Black (Thick, 2004)

New Black
The New Black
Thick

2004

Rating: 6 robocop olympics out of 10

Considering I can’t think of anything off of the top of my head on the Thick Records label that’s worth a shit, it makes the fact that the New Black album is pretty good all that more monumental. Their press release wants to compare them to a cross between the B-52s and Q and not U, which seems reasonable I suppose. More than anything, though, is that they kinda have the same punk rock energy and pop song hooks to make me think of Pretty Girls Make Graves (and the male/female dueling vocals don’t hurt that comparison either). This is nothing amazing, but it’s a fun listen, and I can only imagine they put on a fantastic show. Just listening to the CD you can practically hear them jumping around the studio while they recorded it.

No comments:

Post a Comment