Friday, December 31, 2004

Menomena - I Am the Fun Blame Monster! (FILMguerrero, 2004)


Menomena
I Am the Fun Blame Monster!
FILMguerrero
2004

Rating:
7 happy-go-lucky werewolves out of 10

Elaborate packaging is often the first sign of an inferior release – dress something up in pretty clothing, maybe you won’t notice just how ugly it really is. For this debut album by Portland, Oregon’s Menomena, the disc comes in the back of flip book, and a damn thick flip book at that. When you flip the pages of the flipbook you see all sorts of things – words formed into anagrams, the band performing, chairs spinning around, etc…no doubt this piqued my interest – it was only my hope that they put as much effort into the actual songs on the CD.

I was pleasantly surprised upon first hearing this Menomena record that it was actually pretty damn good. The group creates layers upon layers of catchy hooks, mellow rock, and glitch pop/electronica that sounds like so much you already know and love all mashed together - I can hear elements of Boards of Canada, Dave Friedman-era Mercury Rev and Flaming Lips, South, Snow Patrol, and DJ Shadow all over their music, just to name a few. With the cost of manufacturing their packaging, I can’t imagine they’re doing anything but losing money in putting this album out, but I’m thankful I heard it.

No comments:

Post a Comment