Friday, December 31, 2004

Call and Response - Winds Take No Shape (Badman Recording Co, 2004)


Call and Response
Winds Take No Shape
Badman Recording Co
2004

Rating:
7 tornadoes out of 10

Let me get this out of the way up front – both in record and live form, I previously HATED Call and Response. Nothing they had produced interested me in the least, and actually pissed me off sometimes. Now I don’t know if I’ve changed or the band has or both, but this new record is pretty damn good. Gone are the dancey-disco beats of the past, which is probably what bothered me so much previously, and in their place is musical maturity and a great toned down sound. Their songs sound a lot like a female-fronted version of The Czars now, with a little Cardigans pop and Sterolab drone thrown in there as well. I’m really finding that the more I listen to this the better a like it…a real “grower” if you will. My whole world view on C&R has changed now, and for the better – this album is so enjoyable I’m willing to firmly entrench myself in the pro-C&R camp…and just pretend that first album never happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment