Friday, December 31, 2004

The Catholic Comb - Ghost Stories (Vexed Verse, 2004)


The Catholic Comb
Ghost Stories
Vexed Verse
2004

Rating: 6 protestant volumizing brushes out of 10

Given that nearly every description I’ve ever read of
The Catholic Comb has included the descriptor “goth”, I’m not sure this is something I would have ever picked up on my own – but it’s a pretty good listen, especially for being their first release. If you consider the Cure goth, then I suppose you could describe this band as such – but for the most part it’s guitar-driven pop songs with a bit of dark/80’s undertones. They have this tendency to include these weird “yelps”, for lack of a better term, in some of their songs that are a little irritating and don’t really make much sense…either that or I’m going crazy, which is certainly possible. For the most part though, a quality debut by this Bay Area quartet.

No comments:

Post a Comment