Friday, December 31, 2004

The Mendoza Line - Fortune (Cooking Vinyl, 2004)


The Mendoza Line
Fortune
Cooking Vinyl
2004

Rating:
5.5 power hitting catchers out of 10

I always want to love The Mendoza Line, I really do – they’re southern, they’re named after an obscure baseball stat, they’re twangy – all the makings of a great band in my book. But somehow, the pieces never quite add up. Not that they are a bad, they have their shining moments, but overall I find that their sound jumps around a bit too much, and what usually sticks with me in the end were the bits that I didn’t like. One song will be a mellow rock number ala Wilco, the next track will sound like Neko Case, and then there will be a jangly rock number (these are my favorite and what I personally think they excel at). If you’re already a fan, this record seems to be more of the same and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed. Otherwise, enter at ye own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment