Friday, December 31, 2004

The Mooney Suzuki - Alive & Amplified (Columbia, 2004)

The Mooney Suzuki
Alive & Amplified
Columbia

2004

Rating: 4.5 New York primitives out of 10
 
I’m not sure where to start with this new Mooney Suzuki record…let me get this out of the way first – it’s not a terrible record, despite its flaws, but it’s certainly not great. But there are so many things wrong here, I don’t even know where to begin. The gist of it being that the Mooney Suzuki has decided to do whatever possible to make it to the top. This involves getting on a major label, writing one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard (“Loose ‘n’ Juicy”), having some fake Santana art for the album, and getting the Matrix to produce.  Yes, the same folks behind Avril Lavigne and the new Liz Phair stuff. The mind boggling part of all this might be that it seems this garage rock shtick was played out a year or two ago, so I’m surprised the label went for it, but whatever. If you like straight-forward 70’s rock you could do worse I suppose.  But not much worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment