Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Men - Tomorrow's Hits (Sacred Bones, 2014)

The Men
Tomorrow's Hits
Sacred Bones
2014

Rating: 7 phone poles out of 10

I certainly don't hate the band The Men have become - I grew up on and continue to love country rock or twangy bar rock or whatever you want to call the music they play these days.  But I really miss the band they used to be, and it can be difficult to reconcile those two feelings - mad that they changed from something I loved, but still appreciative of the current output.  Shit, what is probably the best song on the record, "Another Night," has a horn section! It's hard to fathom this is the same band that put out "Leave Home" just a couple of years ago.

This might end up being one of my favorite records at the end of the year, but I just don't know right now.  The songs are strong, the craftsmanship possibly even stronger.  The record just isn't sitting comfortably with me yet though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment