Monday, March 17, 2014

Mandolin Orange - This Side of Jordan (Yep Roc, 2013)

Mandolin Orange
This Side of Jordan
Yep Roc
2013

Rating: 7 old bags out of 10

Despite Mandolin Orange being a well-known and well-regarded music act here in the Triangle of North Carolina where I live, I'm just finally getting around to listening to them now.  The verdict - why was I such an idiot for waiting this long?  I don't even have a good reason, just pure laziness I guess.  The group is a duo - Andrew Marlin and Emily Frantz - and between that group dynamic and their chosen style of music, pretty much every other review I've seen mention Gillian Welch and David Rawlings as comparison.  They all probably say it because it works pretty well.  I hear some John Prine in there too when Andrew sings on his own, but you get the gist - folky, well-crafted music, the best part being the couple's terrific harmonies.  Yes, there is an actual mandolin played on some of the songs.  No, I can't verify if it's orange or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment