Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Mount Moriah / The Mountain Goats - Split 7'' (Merge, 2014)

Mount Moriah / The Mountain Goats
Split 7''
Merge
2014

Rating: 8 gigabytes out of 10

A review of an actual new seven inch!  This split is one of the first two sent out by Merge as part of their 25th anniversary subscription series.  Given that I love 3/4ths of the bands on the label, subscribing was a no-brainer for me.  

Both tracks here are covers - Mount Moriah does a terrific take on Neil Young's "Revolution Blues," really making it their own.  If I didn't already know the song I would have definitely assumed it was an original of MM.  The b-side is The Mountain Goats covering Ozzy's "Shot in the Dark," which is exactly as amazing and preposterous as it sounds.  I actually saw John Darnielle play this song live at the Hopscotch Music Festival a year or two back, and I'm incredibly stoked there is now a recorded version. 

This shit is subscription only, but you know copies will hit the secondary market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment