Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mogwai - Rave Tapes (Sub Pop, 2014)

Mogwai
Rave Tapes
Sub Pop
2014

Rating: 7 sideways looks out of 10

I saw Mogwai open for Pavement back around 1997 - didn't know a thing about them, and they completely melted my brain.  Soon after I bought "Young Team" and it was a crazy huge influence in my life and musical taste for years and years. 

At this point, I'm not even sure how or why to review a new Mogwai record.  "Rave Tapes" is their eighth full-length by my count, not including all the soundtracks and EPs and compilations they've produced since their inception in the mid-nineties.  Given their output, all you can really do now is compare their music to that of the past as a reference to whether a new record is good or not.  Opener "Heard About You Last Night" is very strong, as is "Master Card."  and "Blues Hour" which is one of only a couple tracks with vocals.  It's a good record, not a great one. Mogwai will never disappoint, it's just a matter of how much they will excite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment