Friday, March 28, 2014

Jimmy Eat World / Jejune - Split 7'' (Big Wheel Recreation, 1997)

Jimmy Eat World / Jejune
Split 7''
Big Wheel Recreation
1997

Rating: 7.5 ass kickers out of 10

I was insanely nuts for the first couple of Jimmy Eat World records, they excelled at blending good pop hooks with the emo/punk sound that was popular with people like me in those days; and then they jumped the "over produced" shark with 2001's "Bleed American" and I haven't really paid attention since to be honest.  Based on how big their fanbase became I'm pretty sure they're not too broken up at the loss of my fandom.  This record is very much from their good years - in fact, the first of their two tracks "What I Would Say To You Now" would be in the running for one of their best songs ever.  It makes up for the fact that the second song is pretty much a throwaway.  I'll give this seven inch a high rating just for that first song though.

The flip side is Jejune, female-front emo-pop, a good match for Jimmy Eat World though not at their level of fame (or quality in my opinion).  Decent songs but nothing worth punching a horse in the throat over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment