Monday, March 17, 2014

Lovers - A Friend in the World (Badman Recording Co, 2013)

Lovers
A Friend in the World
Badman Recording Co
2013

Rating: 8 loose fugitives out of 10

I'm a little mystified that I hadn't written about this newest Lovers album yet.  I've been listening to it for a while now, it was one of my top records of 2013...maybe I wrote something and then just forgot to post it, or maybe I'm losing my mind.  Both are completely possible.  

Anyways, this record is a follow-up to the completely amazing "Dark Light" from 2010.  How amazing was that record - for me we're talking top five status of the last decade, and I listen to a lot of goddamn music.  Even today it would be rare for me to go a week without listening to at least one song from that album.  

I knew "A Friend in the World" was never going to reach those heights - I was just hoping for it not to be a disappointment.  It definitely is not.  As already mentioned, it was one of my favorite records of last year, so I guess that is obvious.  No, it doesn't reach the same heights as "Dark Light," but very few records in the world do.  They still follow roughly the same formula though - Carolyn Berk's amazing vocals layered over incredibly catchy electronic pop.  These songs instantly seep into your brain, like a good kind of meningitis, if there was such a thing (maybe there is, I'm no meningitis expert guys!). 

As a side note, if they ever play in your town live, go see them.  Somehow they pull off their brittle, beautiful sound in that setting too.  Twice now I've rearranged my life to make sure I didn't miss their show - no regrets at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment