Thursday, March 13, 2014

Future Islands - Singles (4AD, 2014)

Future Islands
Singles
4AD
2014

Rating: 9 tin whistles out of 10

As with all Future Islands records so far, the question isn't will it be one of my favorite records of the year, it's how high on my list will it finish.  What I'm saying is, I'm a big fan, and this new outing "Singles" only further solidifies that position.  Their last record "On the Water" was fantastic though a bit subdued.  This new one is more in line with 2010's "In Evening Air" - upbeat, catchy, and full of songs that sound like hit singles to me.  Hey, maybe that's why they named it "Singles"!  Yes, I'm brilliant as you can tell.  There's truly not a weak link here..."Doves" should be a hot dance floor jam; album opener "Seasons (Waiting On You)" is the obvious choice for a lead single; "A Song for Our Grandfathers" is a top tits slow jam; and on and on and on...I can't even quantify how much I'm going to listen to this record going forward. 

You know what, I've never said a word about what this band sounds like, assuming everyone already knows.  Given their connection and popularity in the area I'm from, this is an understandable mistake.  The best descriptor I've got is "dramatic, dark electro-pop." I've heard more than a few people compare them to Erasure, though the vocals are much deeper, like Ian Curtis crossed with an art school drama teacher.  Or as my lady refers to him, the singing Count from "Sesame Street."  I have no idea what she is talking about as he doesn't have an accent and I don't think she's on drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment