Thursday, January 16, 2014

Vaadat Charigim - The World Is Well Lost (Anova / Burger, 2013)

Vaadat Charigim
The World Is Well Lost
Anova / Burger
2013

Rating: 7.5 glue sticks out of 10

Vaadat Charigim - I don't know how to pronounce their name, I've got no idea what they are singing about, but I do know catchy songs when I hear them.  The band is from Israel (Tel Aviv specifically), and in Hebrew their name means "Exceptions Committee."  I'm not sure why you need to know this, but there's a piece of trivia for you.  The band is a straight-up throwback to classic showgaze - toss in any comparison you want, Ride or Slowdive or My Bloody Valentine or even Swervedriver, you can hear some of that here.  It doesn't feel like it's ripping those classic bands off as much as it sounds like an homage to them.  The songs are all instantly likeable, even though like the band's name, all of them are in Hebrew.  Sure, it makes it tougher to sing along with them in your car, but similar to other foreign-tongued bands like Dungen, Sigur Rós, or Håkan Hellström, I don't find that unfamiliarity with the language lessens my enthusiasm for the music.  Of course, tastes may vary, so check them out at the Bandcamp link above and see if it fits your ears. 

No comments:

Post a Comment