Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Superchunk - Void 7'' (Merge, 2013)

Superchunk
Void 7''
Merge
2013

Rating: 7.5 shots of tequila out of 10

This Superchunk wax was a limited edition Record Store Day release, on coke bottle clear.  The title track would later be featured on their fantastic album "I Hate Music," and the other side "Faith" is only found here.  Two great songs to be sure.  I'll just copy and paste Mac's words from the Merge website here as to why the record is what it is:

I was in high school when I first heard one of my favorite hardcore records, the split album on Dischord with the bands Faith and Void, two very different DC punk bands. It’s a favorite of a lot of people, I think. I love both sides but everyone always refers to it as “Faith/Void,” so I wanted to have a single called “Void/Faith” and set about to write those songs. Thematically the titles were already in the neighborhood of where Superchunk’s next album was going anyway. The cover is even an abstracted homage to art on the Void side of the original. Musically we aren’t like either of those bands, but that era influences a lot of what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment