Friday, January 17, 2014

Capsize 7 - Cudge (Pig Zen Space, 1993)

Capsize 7
Cudge 7''
Pig Zen Space
1993

Rating: 10 troubled towns out of 10

It's a shame this Capsize 7 record isn't on Discogs and is apparently not well known, because it was the best two songs this underrated band ever released, and one of my favorite seven inches I own.  These guys could often be found opening for the Archers of Loaf or headlining local smaller clubs - they were a terrific live act.  I've always been hard pressed to figure out who to compare them to - they definitely fit in to the local scene, but also had a heavier side occasionally...maybe imagine Jesus Lizard covering Slint paired with early nineties indie rock and you're getting close.  Side a, "Pressed," has this great smouldering build through the verses and explodes during the chorus.  The flip, "Scout," has a similar design in the quiet/loud/quiet dynamic, but it is my favorite of the two.  Back when I DJ'ed occasionally I used to play this record all the time, and would often get asked about them.  Not once did anyone ever know who they were...a shame really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment