Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cheap Time - Exit Smiles (In The Red, 2013)

Cheap Time
Exit Smiles
In The Red
2013

Rating: 8 code words out of 10

I think I had written off Cheap Time as just another Tennessee garage punk act, which is totally cool in my book, but there is a lot more going on here in "Exit Smiles."  I'm not sure if I was wrong about their earlier music or there was a significant change leading into this album, but I'm getting a really heavy seventies vibe off of this.  Definitely a lot of Bowie, Stiv Bators for sure, some T-Rex, and on a couple of songs, Television.  Apparently they really sound like the Saints, a band I've somehow managed not to know much about for reasons I'm not entirely clear on.  Hell, I should have known something wasn't typical here when I saw the length was over half an hour but there was only eight songs - any normal garage punk band would play eight songs in the span of fifteen minutes, twenty tops.  This record is going to reward multiple listens, I can already tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment