Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Mark Kozelek And Desertshore - Mark Kozelek And Desertshore (Caldo Verde, 2013)

Mark Kozelek And Desertshore
Mark Kozelek And Desertshore
Caldo Verde
2013

Rating: 7.5 little kids out of 10

Mark Kozelek is of course the former frontman of the iconic Red House Painters, and on this outing he is paired with Desertshore, a group made up of his former bandmates from RHP and Sun Kil Moon...I'm guessing this is as close as we get to a Painters reunion, but who knows.  What I do know is this is probably the strongest record he has put out since the first Sun Kil Moon record "Ghosts of the Great Highway" back in 2003.  He might seem like a miserable person and once yelled at my friend from the stage for taking photos of him even though Koz's label asked my friend to do it, but goddamn the man knows how to write dreamy depressing folk songs about as well as anybody.  "Tavoris Cloud" is an instant favorite but there's really not a bad song in the bunch.  

I'd sorta spaced out on the man's output for the better part of a decade, but I have a feeling this record is going to pull me back in.  At a minimum, I'm due an excessive period of obsessing over the Red House Painters discography.  Which someone really really REALLY needs to reissue on vinyl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment