Wednesday, December 31, 2003

The Tyde - Twice (Rough Trade, 2003)

The Tyde
Twice
Rough Trade

2003

Rating: 6.5 regular implosions out of 10

 
Featuring members of The Beachwood Sparks and Velvet Crush, The Tyde are a jangly-pop group with strong leanings towards 70’s lite rock and lite country. In fact, the comparisons to Beachwood Sparks are obvious, but The Tyde is a bit more upbeat and a lot less twangy. The slide guitar is there, but in a much smaller amount; and instead of sounding like they’ve listened to too much Flying Burrito Brothers and The Byrds, this lot lean more towards a Cali-fied version of the Velvet Underground. This is a good pop record, but nothing ground breaking; I’m enjoying it right now, but it doesn’t feel like it will have a terribly long shelf life to me, but I guess only time will tell for that. Worth a listen if you happen upon it, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

No comments:

Post a Comment