Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Early Day Miners - Jefferson at Rest (Secretly Canadian, 2003)


Early Day Miners
Jefferson at Rest
Secretly Canadian
2003

Rating:
7.5 coal seams out of 10

Whoever has been hiding the Early Day Miners from me for this long is in deep, deep trouble. It’s my own fault really for not paying more attention, as the band is made up of 2/3rds of Ativin, a fantastic band who I’ve followed for some time (check out their Pills Vs. Planes EP for some great Slint-ish rock). nonetheless, I finally discovered this gem of a band on their third release, "Jefferson at Rest". Equal parts moving and relaxing, it takes obvious cues from the likes of New Year, Barzin and Low, filling the void left by the break up of Codeine and near permanent hiatus of Seam in the realm of beautiful, mellow post-rockish pop songs. And one of the things that makes this album particularly great is that it’s a grower – one of those albums that’s just ok at first, but the more you hear it the more you want to. It took me a month to get even a couple of listens into this, but since then I couldn’t recount the number of times it’s been in my CD player.

No comments:

Post a Comment