Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Saxon Shore - Four Months of Darkness (Burnt Toast Vinyl, 2003)

Saxon Shore
Four Months of Darkness
Burnt Toast Vinyl

2003

Rating: 6.5 dark lighthouses out of 10 
 
There’s not a bad thing I can say about Saxon Shore – they create beautiful instrumental music without any posturing or pretentiousness. It reminds me quite a bit of Tristeza, and in fact I think I like Saxon Shore a bit more than Tristeza. At the same time, it’s not the most memorable work, at least initially - only time will tell if this album will keep it’s place in my record collection, because bands like this have a lot of competition.  And let’s face it – without vocals it makes it much tougher for a band to stand out from the pack.  I have no doubt that Saxon Shore is a good band and this is an enjoyable record, but only time will tell if they bring themselves to achieve something higher than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment