Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Electro Group / St. Avalanche - Split 7" (Claire, 2003)


Electro Group / St. Avalanche
Split 7"
Claire

2003

Rating: 7 electrified sno cones out of 10

This is the best split 7'' I’ve heard in a long time – Sacramento comes strong with excellent outings from two of their finest, St. Avalanche and Electro Group. Having listened to Electro Group before, I knew what to expect – quirky shoegaze prettiness mixed with some Stereolab-ish drone and a great overall electro-pop feel. I wasn’t disappointed by their songs here, and in fact they just reminded me of why I need to get off my ass and get Electro Group’s full length. St. Avalanche was previously unknown to me, but I’ll certainly be on the lookout for them in the future - they play an interesting mix of 60’s garage pop and shoegaze, sorta like what you get with the likes of Henry’s Dress, but with a slight British quirky pop feel not unlike Elastica. On top of all this, it comes on clear vinyl and some great packaging, all clear and actually an x-ray of something or another when you hold it up to the light. Well worth searching out.

No comments:

Post a Comment