Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Isobel Campbell - Amorino (Instinct, 2003)


Isobel Campbell
Amorino
Instinct
2003

Rating:
6.5 camels out of 10

So, I knew going in that this was the solo record of Isobel Campbell, known mostly for her work with Belle & Sebastian. As a B&S fan, I was already going into this with certain expectations, which is never a good idea, but definitely understandable. Upon my first couple of listens, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing – along with a few tracks that sounded as I expected (pretty similar to the songs Isobel sung for B&S), there were elements of brazilian pop, Dixieland jazz (?!?), and Burt Bacharach-style 60’s pop tunes with horns and strings. Honestly, it was so different that I didn’t even listen to it again for quite a while. But then when I came back to it, it sounded great to me – an inventive breath of fresh air, an artist willing to take chances in their music. Seriously, how many indie-pop artists could pull off a Dixieland song?

No comments:

Post a Comment