Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Mono - One Step More and You Die (Arena Rock Recording Co, 2003)

Mono
One Step More and You Die
Arena Rock Recording Co

2003

Rating: 9 plural deaths out of 10

I have a new religion, and it is Mono.  After witnessing a recent live performance by them, probably the best show I’ve seen all year (and I see a ton of shows), I immediately rushed to their merch table and bought this amazing release.  This foursome from Japan may speak very limited English, but they fluently speak the international language of kicking ass.  I’ve heard a lot of people say that Mono "out-Mogwai Mogwai!", which I think means Mono is stepping in to bring those loud parts back that Mogwai were once known for.  The great thing is that they manage the best of both worlds, loud rocking and beautiful, orchestrated parts both having airtime on this release, not to mention the My Bloody Valentine-type of swirly guitars that permeate throughout the entire record.  Live they’re a must see – drop any and all other plans you might have and run, don’t walk to the venue and prepare to have your eardrums damaged; and while the record will never be able to fully recreate that effect, it does a damn good job of getting as close as you can in the studio environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment