Saturday, December 31, 2005

Spoon - Gimme Fiction (Merge, 2005)

Spoon
Gimme Fiction
Merge

2005

Rating: 8 ice cube trays out of 10
 
Although the music on this album makes sense if you’ve followed Spoon all along, the transformation of this band over the years is quite drastic when comparing their first output to the more recent.  It’s been a gradual change and not one that I find particularly upsetting, but over the years they have slowly morphed from the electrified-acoustic guitar sounds that was their early calling card into a dancebeat-laced indie-funk band with very minimal guitar work. Any band that fit this description on paper probably wouldn’t even warrant a listen in my household, but Spoon is so consistently great they are always given a chance.  And despite my general protestations and large dislike for anything that might be remotely described as “indie funk”, I’m actually really digging this new album and their new sound. I’m sure some fans will be disgruntled as usual, but tough titties.  So put on your dancing shoes, put it on the album's best track “I Turn My Camera On”, and get down with your bad self.

No comments:

Post a Comment