Saturday, December 31, 2005

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us (Mute, 2005)


M83
Before the Dawn Heals Us

Mute

2005


Rating:
10 paella filled crepes out of 10

(Note: I'm leaving the below review completely intact as it's the most wrong I've ever been in reviewing a record. This album is one of my favorites of the last 20 years, as the rating above suggests. Sometimes, you're just wrong.)

It’s been two albums now and I still don’t know what to think of M83. It’s one of things where it has to catch your ear just right…sometimes it sounds awesome, other times, overwrought and cheesy. But this pretty well sums up my feelings on synth-rock as a whole. I’m at a loss as to how to describe what they sound like; I try to imagine it as rock music that Boards of Canada or Matmos or Air would make. Maybe it’s the cover photo, but something about this very much feels like it would be the soundtrack to a Michael Mann film. Certainly, if you liked the last record I don’t see anything here that should turn you off this go-around. Maybe by the time the next record comes out I’ll be able to figure out if I actually like this or not, but right now I’m just confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment