Saturday, December 31, 2005

Thee Heavenly Music Association - Shaping the Invisible (Rehash, 2005)


Thee Heavenly Music Association
Shaping the Invisible
Rehash
2005

Rating:
5 jesus tunes out of 10

Given that it only seems old folks like me listen to it anymore, and the kids barely even know such a genre exists, I’m continually surprised at the number of “shoegaze” bands that pop up in every batch of reviews I do. I’ve heard bad, I’ve heard good, and then there’s plenty in-between, which is where I would place Thee Heavenly Music Association. It’s obvious they have digested a lot of My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus and Mary Chain, while taking pacing and vocal cues from Mazzy Star. There are a couple of particularly interesting tracks here – “Angelic Disorder” standing out the most, and a cover of the Kate Bush song “Running Up That Hill”, but as a whole it’s nothing worth getting your panties in a twist over.

No comments:

Post a Comment