Saturday, December 31, 2005

Heikki - 2 (Magic Marker, 2005)


Heikki
2
Magic Marker
2005

Rating: 5.5 concrete bears out of 10

This Swedish duo, Heikki, features Maria Eriksson from Thee Concretes and Jari Haapalainen from The Bear Quartet, and they play upbeat jangly-pop and indie-folk the sorts of which will probably be a hit with the kids. As for me personally, I dunno…something is missing. The first track is pretty great but I quickly lose interest thereafter for some reason. The upbeat numbers are certainly the more engaging ones as far as I can tell; I think it is particularly the folky numbers that have my mind wandering. That said, the more I listened to it the better it sounded, so maybe it’s just one of those records that take a while to come around. Fans of Viva Voce, The Fruitbats, and probably even Erikkson’s other band The Concretes would probably enjoy this the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment