Saturday, December 31, 2005

Momus - Otto Spooky (Analog, 2005)

Momus
Otto Spooky
Analog

2005

Rating: 6 Neidermeyer horses out of 10
 
Quite honestly, I don’t even know how to go about reviewing this new record by Momus or any of his stuff for that matter. His ability to genre-jump between electronica, twee pop, world music, delicate singer/songwriter fare, et al – and to do it well – makes him categorically tough to pigeon-hole. I’m not the biggest fan, but I can certainly appreciate talent when I hear it; and while I won’t be putting this record on all the time to listen to it, I can certainly understand why someone would. I know I should probably put some “RIYL” bands here, but where do you start when one song sounds like Trembling Blue Stars, the next sounds like Cornelius, so on and etcetera, but rarely do two songs sound the same? Originality makes for a heck of a listening party, but it really makes things hard on crappy writers like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment