Saturday, December 31, 2005

Askelton - Happy Album (Goodnight, 2005)


Askelton
Happy
Goodnight
2005

Rating:
5 fluffy pillows out of 10

Sometimes you hear a record, and it’s a perfectly good record, but you just can’t get excited about it? That’s how I’m feeling about this Askelton release. It’s decent listening, a pop record but not one with a lot of overt hooks. The songwriting seems fairly strong and varied – no "sameness" like plagues so many artists. And they often employ a “kitchen sink” method of instrumentation, making the songs a listenable clusterfuck, to quote most prominent scientists. But nothing here moves me, grabs me, sinks into my head, punches me in the face. I can’t really recommend or dis this album, but that’s the nice thing about this computer age – cause if you make your way to their website, you can sample it for yourself and make up your own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment