Thursday, December 1, 2011

Craig Wedren - Wand (Nerveland, 2011)

Craig Wedren
Wand
Nerveland
2011

Rating: 7 rectory pools out of 10

I'm a huge Shudder to Think fan, and a few years back I went to a Craig Wedren solo show and got the chance to meet him, and totally fanned out like a backwoods goofball, but he was super friendly and chatty and I guess I'm telling you all of this in one long run-on sentence because you probably shouldn't expect a very unbiased review here.  

So, on his sophomore record, Wedren continues down the path he set forth in "Lapland", an album of pop songs that are just a little too weird for the mainstream but sounds like top 40 compared to his work with Shudder to Think.  And there are moments that I'm not crazy about, the production might be a little overkill, but...that voice.  It's always that voice.  The man could, to borrow a cliche, sing the phone book and I'd listen intently and with rapt attention.  He sounds as fantastic as always, and the high points like "Make Me Hurt You" and "Ladyghost" far outweigh any negative criticism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment