Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation (Fat Possum, 2011)

Youth Lagoon
The Year of Hibernation
Fat Possum
2011

Rating: 5.5 summer loves out of 10

I've had folks trying to sell me on Youth Lagoon and his debut album "The Year of Hibernation" for a few months now, so I finally broke down and gave it a listen.  Verdict - it ain't doing much for me.  Far from being bad or awful, it's just...boring.  Lo-fi bedroom pop, it sounds like what you might get if Grandaddy's Jason Lytle had a kid who was really into Sparklehorse and recording songs where he sets up a tape deck at one end of a long hall, and performs them at the other end.  After a couple of listens the only song that stood out to me was "Montana", and that is most like due to it being the loudest/most upbeat song on the release.  I'm certain this is going to get a lot of year-end love, and that's fine, though misplaced in my estimation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment