Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Flaming Lips - The Strobo Trip: Light and Audio Phase Illusions Toy (Warner Bros, 2011)

The Flaming Lips
The Strobo Trip: Light and Audio Phase Illusions Toy
Warner Bros
2011

Rating: 8 epicly long fingernails out of 10

I've been known to churn out some pretty poorly written reviews on music I haven't listened to very much, but in the case of this new Flaming Lips release, it's going to be written about something I haven't even listened to fully.  Sure, it's only three songs, but the middle song is six hours long.  Yes, six hours long.  And we're not talking six hours of droning noise, but an actual song with drums and musical instruments and vocals and such.  From my skipping around it goes through a number of different changes and movements, so it might be closer to a mixtape than one solid song...but it's six hours long no matter how you describe it.  I have nowhere near the patience to sit through this at home, but it seems like a good experiment to play with yourself if you were working at some boring office job - see how long you can make it.  Given how much I've enjoyed the snippets I've heard, it actually wouldn't be that difficult of a task I don't think.  

Oh yeah, there are two other songs also - both are pretty damn good.  As a whole this is the strongest (and most pop-oriented) release they've put out this year honestly.  Apparently it also comes with some weird light toy to trip out on, but given the limited edition nature of this release I'm settling for just hearing the songs.  Which are definitely worth seeking out.  I was expecting to just give them a thumbs up for originality here, but they've made a great chunk of music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment