Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Ty Segall - Ty Rex EP (Goner, 2011)

Ty Segall
Ty Rex EP
Goner 
2011

Rating: 5 wooden salamanders out of 10

Ty Segall releases records almost as often as Robert Pollard, but to my knowledge Pollard has never released an EP entirely made up of T. Rex covers. I appreciate the effort, but I don't see this as something I'll be listening to all that often.  It sounds exactly as you'd expect - mostly straight-forward lo-fi, dingy recordings of the originals.  No interesting arrangements or anything special really, just a garage rock version of some pop classics.  To be perfectly honest, it just makes me want to listen to the originals.  Not to say that this release is terrible, and I'm sure his super fans are well into it, but...meh.  Mostly meh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment