Monday, December 5, 2011

Real Estate - Days (Domino, 2011)

Real Estate
Days
Domino
2011

Rating: 6.5 green blocks out of 10

All I can think of when I listen to this Real Estate album is the Stone Roses self-titled first record.  That's a good thing I suppose, because that is one of the all-time great albums, but it might be a little too on the nose.   After all, that album did come out 22 years ago (sweet jesus that makes me feel old), and nothing wrong with giving the young kids their own mellow, hazy pop record that feels like a lazy country drive.  But singer Martin Courtney sounds like he's actually impersonating Ian Brown, down to even sounding slightly British...maybe he's from section of New Jersey where they all sound like that, otherwise it makes me wonder if it's intentional or just coincidence.  

Snarking aside, it's a pretty enjoyable record.  Very listenable and instantly catchy, though again, when you sound exactly like the Stone Roses this shouldn't be that surprising.  And regardless of their originality, I'm guessing I'll still listen to this album a number of times, because good songs are good songs no matter how you get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment