Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Wavves - Life Sux EP (Ghost Ramp, 2011)

Wavves
Life Sux EP
Ghost Ramp
2011

Rating: 7 sand mice out of 10

I've never been particularly big on Wavves, but this new EP may have me changing my tune.  It could be that it's short and to the point, or maybe Wavves main man Nathan Williams is growing as a songwriter, and I suspect it's partly both of these things...either way, I found myself immediately really liking the first three tracks "Bug", "I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl" and "Nodding Off" (which is a collaboration with Best Coast) - all three are incredibly catchy and worth the price alone.  "Bug", while not a cover of Dinosaur Jr, could probably be classified as a rip-off of them if it wasn't such a damn fine tune.  The rest of the short player is fine, but nothing really stands out.  Still, a step in the right direction for this band as far as I'm concerned, enough so that I'll definitely perk up when the next full-length gets released. 

No comments:

Post a Comment