Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Admiral Radley - I Heart California (The Ship, 2010)

Admiral Radley
I Heart California
The Ship
2010

Rating: 6 ho ho plants out of 10

Running a little tardy on this review...Admiral Radley sounds exactly what you would get if the members of Grandaddy and Earlimart got together and dicked around enough in the studio to produce a record.  Wait, that's exactly what happened here.  It really couldn't sound more like a mash-up of those two bands if you tried.  And it also probably makes perfect sense that I don't enjoy this nearly as much as Grandaddy (an all-time favorite band of mine), but more than Earlimart (who I've never been too excited about).  Even if this isn't Jason Lytle's best output, I'm still magnetically drawn to anything he produces like a moth to a flame...well, maybe not exactly like that, cause it won't kill me if I touch the music.  A couple of standout tracks - "GNDN" is a nice mellow number that would have fit in right on Grandaddy's perfect pop album "The Sophtware Slump", and "The Thread", a nice waltz-like track with Arianna Murray singing, and is probably better than anything else Earlimart has ever been a part of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment