Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Raymond Brake - New Wave Dream 7'' (Simple Machines, 1995)

The Raymond Brake
New Wave Dream 7''
Simple Machines
1995

Rating: 10 big games out of 10

This isn't just my favorite Raymond Brake release, it's one of my very favorite seven inches I own. I don't think a DJ night ever existed when I didn't play one or both sides of this record.  This band had the most perfect blend of pop and the discordant Polvo-style indie rock that was so popular in the mid-nineties.  Both of these songs are incredibly catchy, but the b-side "Secret" is an all-time favorite song that has been stuck in my head for nearly twenty years.  Andy Cabic, front man for this group, would go on to form Vetiver.  He once told me there is an entire unreleased Raymond Brake album out there somewhere.  You don't know how much I want this music into my earholes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment