Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Best Coast - Fade Away (Jewel City, 2013)

Best Coast
Fade Away
Jewel City
2013

Rating: 8 Mexican chairs out of 10

It seems like the cool kids are kinda down on Best Coast, or maybe they were never into them in the first place.  Regardless, I'm fully on the bandwagon as of "Fade Away," if I wasn't already.  In a just and fair world this is the exact sort of pop music that should be dominating commercial airwaves, and probably would have been if it came out in 1983 instead of 2013.  The first three songs on this release ("This Lonely Morning," "I Wanna Know," and "Who Have I Become?") are probably the best things the band has ever written, instantly worming their way into your brain.  And the rest of the record is pretty damn decent too.  This would have definitely been a contender on my year-end list had I heard it in time. 

As a side note, I'm not sure whether this record counts as a long EP or a short full-length.  There are only seven songs, but it's nearly thirty minutes long.  This is the sort of shit that keeps me up at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment