Thursday, December 12, 2013

ASG - Blood Drive (Relapse, 2013)

ASG
Blood Drive
Relapse
2013

Rating: 7 well buckets out of 10

I'll listen to old Slayer or Metallica records with the best of them, but when it comes to new metal I'm not particularly well versed outside of a couple of bands.  When a good friend who is deep into the metal world insisted I check out ASG, I figured why not. 

I'd barely call this metal - the band and their fans may find that insulting but I don't mean it to be.  It's very melodic, more of a psychedelic hard rock than anything I think of as metal.  It's (usually) not fast enough for the classic metal definition and (usually) not dark and sludgy enough to fit into the slower metal genres like stoner rock.  The singer actually sings on most of the tracks, and does it well - not a mainstay of the metal world.  Regardless of dumb genre drawer you do or don't decide to put the band in, the record is very good.  There is a proggy aspect to their music that really works, and I'm rarely complimentary of anything proggy.  I'm diggin' it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment