Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cheap Time - Wallpaper Music (In The Red, 2012)

Cheap Time
Wallpaper Music
In The Red
2012

Rating: 6 wall safes out of 10

I didn't even realize Cheap Time was started by the front dude of the Rat Traps, Jeffrey Novak.  I saw the Rat Traps once years ago, they were pretty damn awesome live.  Never did hear any of their proper recordings though.  That has nothing to do with reviewing this record, I just felt like mentioning it.  

"Wallpaper Music" is the third record by this Tennessee trio, and I feel the same about it as I have about everything else I've heard by Cheap Time...it's pretty good.  Not good enough to go nuts over, and definitely not bad enough to make fun of, just...decent.  A lot garage punk with occasional moments of glam and psychedelic leanings, let's call them the combination of the Oblivians and some of Iggy Pop's early solo work and leave it at that.  

I want to like this more...it has the necessary ingredients.  And if they come to town I definitely want to see them live, as I bet that's a good show.  Maybe seeing them live will re-invigorate me into getting more excited over this record.  

No comments:

Post a Comment