Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Black Mountain - Year Zero: The Original Soundtrack (Jagjaguwar, 2012)

Black Mountain
Year Zero: The Original Soundtrack
Jagjaguwar
2012

Rating: 6.5 soldier ants out of 10

I think the key question here is: Does this new Black Mountain album feel like a soundtrack because I already know that it is one, or would I think it was a regular Black Mountain album if I didn't know otherwise?  I'm not sure why it matters anyways, but it's one of those weird little things where I probably don't take the record as seriously since it's meant as a soundtrack to some surf movie.  

All that jibber jabber aside, I guess it ultimately comes down to whether or not the music is any good.  It sounds pretty much like what you'd expect out of a Black Mountain record, at least for most of the tracks.  Then again, half of these songs were on previous Black Mountain albums in one form or another.  The inclusion of edited versions of "Bright Lights" and "Tyrants" from their 2008 album "In the Future" was a smart move, two of their very best songs that would certainly fit well with big wave schralping.

Actually, just go buy/listen to "In the Future" if you're on the fence about this band.  The diehard fans are going to buy this soundtrack regardless of what any stupid review says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment