Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wilco - I Might 7" (dBpm, 2011)


Wilco
I Might 7"
dBpm
2011
Rating: 7.5 so-it-goes out of 10

Even if the output of Wilco since "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" has been pretty spotty (not critically, just for my enjoyment level), I'll continue to check out everything they release. They are responsible for two of my very favorite records of all time after all - "Being there" and "Summerteeth".

So "I Might" is a pretty damn good song. Very upbeat. Make it a hair twangier and it would have fit on the first record. Sounds like a song that is going to be used in a car commercial very soon, which I suppose could be taken as both an insult and a compliment. Certainly a compliment to the band's checkbook.

The b-side "I Love My Label" is a Nick Lowe cover and clearly a poke at this being the first release on their own label dBpm. But Nick Lowe is rad, their treatment of his song is also rad, so that makes this double rad.

Definitely looking forward to the new record.

No comments:

Post a Comment