Wednesday, July 20, 2011

White Hills - H-p1 (Thrill Jockey, 2011)


White Hills
H-p1

Thrill Jockey

2011


Rating:
7 mounds of cocaine out of 10


I guess you'd most simply classify this album by White Hills as shoegaze-krautrock-metal? Shokrautal? That might be the dumbest thing I've ever said, a statement not without plenty of competition. I guess the most obvious touchstones are Hawkwind and Can and Tortoise and My Bloody Valentine and Ride and Brian Eno and...you get the idea. My lack of words for this record are inversely proportional to the length of it, coming in at better than 70 minutes. And also my enjoyment, cause I'm digging the shit out of this...it zones you out just the right amount, then whips back around to some swirling guitar-heavy jams, then back to powerline buzz, then it sounds like there is a bee trapped in the room with me, and all of the sudden it's like the lost soundtrack to the film "Wargames", and now I've totally forgotten where I was going with this. I think what I'm trying to say is this is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment