Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Vetiver - The Errant Charm (Sub Pop, 2011)


Vetiver
The Errant Charm

Sub Pop

2011


Rating:
5.5 Greensboronians out of 10

It's somewhat funny I would just get a copy of this new Vetiver record to listen to, as I was just listening to this CD of Vetiver demos from 2002 the other day. Man I love those demos - the early songs are so intimate and lo-fi, the band so stripped down and different from what they are today. I saw them many, many times around that period and they were easily one of my favorite bands working in SF at the time.

And then you have this new record "The Errant Charm"...it's by no means a bad record, but it just doesn't sound anything like the band I fell in love with. I though 2009's "Tight Knit" sounded too over-produced, but this release makes that one feel like it was recorded on an old boom box. It's very likable country-tinged, seventies-style soft rock, but it just ain't right. I do like the track "Ride Ride Ride" though, and album opener "It's Beyond Me" ain't half bad. Mostly though, it just makes me want to go back and listen to the old Vetiver releases, back when they really meant something to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment