Monday, July 11, 2011

Moonface - Organ Music Not Vibraphone Like I'd Hoped (Jagjaguwar, 2011)


Moonface
Organ Music
Not Vibraphone Like I'd Hoped
Jagjaguwar

2011


Rating:
8 wedges of soft cheese out of 10

Apparently, Spencer Krug is crack to me, because I get hooked on his music like a goddamn drug. Moonface is his newest venture, and if you're keeping count at home this is his 87th band or musical group or what-have-you. I guess technically this is just a solo project as all sounds are made by Krug, but he gave it a band name and I find it hard to refer to Moonface as a person. All apologies to anyone actually named Moonface out there, like one of those Zappa kids or something.

The music of Moonface is entirely electronic, mostly made up of organ, synth loops & noise, all held together by electronic drums. But like with all of Krug's other endeavors, his easily identifiable voice stands out above it all, making it instantly identifiable, like an old friend you'd never met before. I suppose one could argue there is a sameness to much of Krug's work, to which I would say who gives a fuck - it sounds awesome. Really, the only one of his bands you might confuse this for is Sunset Rubdown, and maybe only if you weren't paying much attention. I'm paying attention. I'm paying attention to every damn thing this man releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment