Monday, July 11, 2011

Gillian Welch - The Harrow & the Harvest (Acony, 2011)


Gillian Welch
The Harrow & the Harvest
Acony
2011

Rating: 7 Neil Young records out of 10


It seems crazy that it's been eight years since Gillian Welch last released a record (2003's "Soul Journey"), but that is what every review was saying and yep, I counted the years myself to make sure an elaborate joke wasn't being played on me. I suppose when the music you release is as timeless and nebulous as her output, release years kinda blur into the background.

And eight years down the road, nothing has changed really - Welch & David Rawlings are still writing songs you'd swear were 200 year old Appalachian mountain ballads. They sound immediate and instantly familiar, like songs your mama would have sung you as a small baby up in the boonies where I grew up. Not my mama, mind you, she would have been much more likely to sing you a Yes or an Alan Parsons Project song, but still. I can't imagine any fans of Welch being disappointed with this release. It appears that what was always will be.

And dig that awesome album art. It makes you want to like the record even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment