Thursday, June 9, 2011

Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital (Sub Pop, 2011)


Handsome Furs
Sound Kapital

Sub Pop
2011

Rating: 8 full-on boners out of 10

I'm sure there are probably reviews out there that don't talk about how hot Alexei Perry is, the non-Wolf Parade half of the duo Handsome Furs...but it ain't going to be this review. I don't think the above naked picture on the cover of their newest record "Sound Kapital" is her, but take one look at this photo and try not to feel a little tingly in your nether regions:

Link
As much as I love Dan Boeckner's musical abilities, I'd prefer he weren't in this photo, as he's just obscuring my ability to gawk at her. And a recent viewing of the band live proved that she might be even hotter in person. I found it impossible not to stare at her like a perv the entire show.

Now, on to the music, and specifically this new record. Let it be stated that I didn't even know there was an amazingly hot woman in this band when I first started listening to them, so my love of the music is not based purely on superficial desires. No, that love is based on them putting out one song after another of the catchiest electro-pop heartland rock. Because Boeckner is singing, it's impossible not to compare them to Wolf Parade, but I've got to be honest - I like Handsome Furs even more than Wolf Parade, and I'm not sure it's even close. The middle section of this record - "Bury Me Standing", "Memories of the Future", and "Serve the People" - are three of the best songs Boeckner has ever been involved with, and easily some of my favorite music of the year. This will definitely make my top ten list for 2011, and in the top half of it probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment