Friday, June 17, 2011

The Dodos - No Color (French Kiss, 2011)


The Dodos
No Color

French Kiss

2011


Rating: 7.5 transgendered terns out of 10

It felt as if The Dodos were getting more and more professional, more and more polished with each release, which in turn was driving some fans (myself included) away from the band because it was sorta contrary to what brought us to love them in the first place. Well, "drive away" is a bit strong, but let's say I hadn't been feeling as excited about the group as I had in the past. In fact, their new album "No Color" has been sitting on my for a couple of months because I just wasn't that eager to start listening to it.

And as is often the case, I was a damn fool for putting it off so long. This is a great, great record. They seemed to have re-found that immediacy and intimacy their early music had, the very sound that got me excited about the band the first time I heard them at some random afternoon show at Thee Parkside in SF many years ago. The music still sounds well produced though not overly so. And most importantly, there are hooks and catchy songs for days.

Maybe this will serve as a lesson to stop sleeping on groups I love just because they've grown their sound. I highly doubt that happens, but I'll definitely not let a Dodos album sit around for so long again.

No comments:

Post a Comment